1.7 Decimals

Learning Objectives

By the end of this section, you will be able to:

• Name and write decimals
  • Round decimals
  • Add and subtract decimals
  • Multiply and divide decimals
  • Convert decimals, fractions, and percents
A table is shown with the title Place Value. From left to right the row reads “Hundred thousands,” “Ten thousands,” “Thousands,” “Hundreds,” “Tens,” and “Ones.” Then there is a blank cell and below it is a decimal point. To the right of this, the cells read “Tenths,” “Hundredths,” “Thousandths,” “Ten-thousandths,” and “Hundred-thousandths.”

Figure 1.14 Place value of decimal numbers are shown to the left and right of the decimal point.

We summarize the steps needed to name a decimal below.

We summarize the steps to writing a decimal.

We summarize the steps for rounding a decimal here.

A bar is placed over the repeating block of digits to indicate it repeats.

Self Check

ⓐ After completing the exercises, use this checklist to evaluate your mastery of the objectives of this section.This is a table that has six rows and four columns. In the first row, which is a header row, the cells read from left to right “I can…,” “Confidently,” “With some help,” and “No-I don’t get it!” The first column below “I can…” reads “name and write decimals,” “round decimals,” “add and subtract decimals,” “multiply and divide decimals,” and “convert decimals, fractions and percents.” The rest of the cells are blank.

ⓑ What does this checklist tell you about your mastery of this section? What steps will you take to improve?